Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Vietnam democracy movement under attack

Analaysts say Vietnam's Bloc 8406 pro-democracy movement is under attack from a communist government unwilling to tolerate political dissent only a year after it was founded.

Analysts and human rights groups says while Vietnam is winning praise for its booming economy, stock market and global integration, a series of arrests and the jailing of an activist Catholic priest have been condemned as a return to darker days.

The crackdown against the underground movement, with more trials expected soon, has soured otherwise blossoming relations with the United States.

On the eve of the movement's first anniversary, Human Rights Watch says Vietnam is cracking down on Bloc 8406 organisers and their families.

Bloc 8406 takes its name from the date it was founded, the 8th of April 2006.

The movement includes academics, clergy, writers, medical doctors, engineers, nurses, businessmen, army veterans and ordinary citizens.

Working under the threat of arrest, they communicate online with each other and exile groups and gathered signatures, now claiming 2,000 members.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here is Mr Benjamin contact Email details, 247officedept@gmail.com. / Or Whatsapp +1 989-394-3740 that helped me with loan of 90,000.00 Euros to startup my business and I'm very grateful,It was really hard on me here trying to make a way as a single mother things hasn't be easy with me but with the help of Mr Benjamin put smile on my face as i watch my business growing stronger and expanding as well.I know you may be surprised why I put things like this here but I really have to express my gratitude so anyone seeking financial help or going through hardship with their business or want to start a business project can see this and have hope of getting out of the hardship..Thank You.